Does it even count as a monthly recap post if it’s already halfway through the next month? I swear it was Halloween yesterday. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, and I’m going to have to make a change with my blog. I just can’t keep up with my posts the same way I used to anymore… I’m not sure what exactly things will look like yet, but I definitely won’t be gone permanently. Just a heads up that I know I’ve been majorly slacking and plan to make a change soon.
- I crossed off five new states from my bucket list!! Five! Within two weeks! My mom and I took an amazing trip to the East Coast early in the month, just the two of us. We visited all the historical sites in Philadelphia, Fort McHenry in Baltimore, and a few spots in Delaware and New Jersey. I still haven’t posted all the photos because I suck, but maybe I’ll get to it someday before I die.
- The fifth new state I visited was Indiana for a work conference. The conference itself was disappointing, but I enjoyed exploring Indianapolis, especially the motor speedway! And I got to bond with one of my coworkers in the airport—we got so caught up in conversation that we almost missed our flight, HA.
How fabulous is this fall outfit?! The sweater and leather pants were recently sent to me by the gals at Clara Sunwoo, the mother-daughter design duo. I worked with them several times over the summer and love their pieces—their new fall collection does not disappoint!
I’ve been going through my closet recently and realized a lot of my sweaters need to be replaced… They’re either pilling, too small, or made from cheap materials that make them itchy or static-y. In contrast, this ribbed turtleneck sweater is so soft and comfortable, and it thankfully launders really well. I already have so many fun fall and holiday outfits planned for it!
As for the leather pants, I’ve never had a pair and was nervous they wouldn’t fit, would be too clingy and unflattering, etc. But not so—this pair is really chic and made me feel so trendy and expensive. I sized up from my usual extra small to a small, which was definitely the right move. I love that they’re a straighter fit too, instead of skintight leggings, which I think makes them a little classier. Can’t wait to style them more!
For accessories, I carried my go-to maroon circle purse, threw on some matching lipstick, and styled my new cream booties from Portland Leather Goods. I’m still working to break them in (not comfy yet!) but I absolutely love the style.
Top Performing October Blog Posts
Favorite Outfits from October
- I’m obsessed with this work outfit, featuring my pinstripe polka dot button-down, my leather skirt, and of course, my favorite shoes ever, which are Valentino Rockstud knockoffs. I just threw the look together and am so pleased with how it turned out.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum is this casual, country-inspired ‘fit that I wore to the pumpkin patch. I love this denim skirt with my cowgirl booties! But the skirt does ride up a lot when I walk, so not the comfiest (or good for line dancing).
What I Watched
- “Fall of the House of Usher”—I thought this show had a lot of really creative adaptations of the classic Edgar Allen Poe stories, but it didn’t hold a candle to Mike Flanagan’s other series (“Haunting of Hill House” and “Midnight Mass”).
- “Silo”—My dad and I both read the Silo book series (Wool, Dust, and Shift) when I was in middle school, so I was excited to watch the TV adaptation on HBO. The dialogue and acting left me wanting, but it was intriguing and fun to watch the books come to life. I’ll definitely be watching the second season!
- Gerald’s Game—Holy cow, this might be my new favorite movie. It’s really dark and twisted—so I don’t recommend it for the faint of heart—but I keep thinking about it even weeks after watching.
- Hocus Pocus—Neither my boyfriend nor I had ever seen this Halloween classic, so we decided to throw it on while carving pumpkins this year. I have to admit, I actually really enjoyed it! I get the hype now. It’s not a good movie by any stretch, but my boyfriend and I both found it far more entertaining than we expected.
What I Read
- The One by John Marrs—This novel follows the story of five very different characters as they’re DNA “matched” with their one true soulmate, as determined by a newly discovered gene. I had a hard time getting into this book with all the characters, but I enjoyed it by the end. It was kind of like reading a reality TV show.
- Every Vow You Break by Peter Swanson—This was a really twisted revenge story that I’d recommend if you’re looking for a quick and suspenseful read. Not only is it short, but I couldn’t put it down—finished it in three days!
October Spotify Playlist
This month’s playlist is short and sweet, with a few songs from my trips earlier in the month. I couldn’t get the song “Raining in Baltimore” out of my head the whole time I was on the East Coast. Check out the playlist here.
What I’ve Been Loving Lately
- More Labs Morning Recovery Drink—My boyfriend got me hooked on these nasty little drinks. They may not taste great, but if you chug it before a night of drinking (like a Halloween party), it does wonders in preventing a hangover. Now kids, of course this does not replace lots of water, drinking responsibly, etc. etc. etc.
- Connections—My newest New York Times game obsession. I still do the Wordle every morning, but now I also do this more time-consuming, thought-provoking puzzle. You get 16 words and have to group them into four categories. There is only one correct way to do it and you only get four guesses! Super fun (but also, frustrating if I don’t get it, ha).
What I’m Looking Forward to in November
- Well, if I had written this blog post when I was supposed to, I would have said I was excited for my 24th birthday. I ended up taking Thursday and Friday off work and spending the long weekend with my parents and boyfriend, doing an escape room, going to a museum, and playing games. It was great!
- What I’m still looking forward to is going home to Boise for Thanksgiving. I haven’t been back to Idaho since Christmas last year, which is the longest I’ve ever gone not being at my parents’ house. I’m SO excited to go back, be lazy, eat lots, and hang out at all my old haunts.
This Month on Graceful Rags
- Weekly Recap #39, 2023
- September 2023 Month in Review
- Packing for Philadelphia Reel
- Weekly Recap #40, 2023
- Closet Clean-Out Part 1 Reel
- Weekly Recap #41, 2023
- Inspired by Taylor Swift Eras
- Closet Clean-Out Part 2 Reel
- Weekly Recap #42, 2023
- Halloween Décor Reel
- Weekly Recap #43, 2023
- Halloween Party Snacks Reel
- Midnight Mass Halloween Costumes: Bev Keane and Father Paul
- Purple Manicure Reel
Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I hope you have a great rest of your week.
Miles of smiles,
Turtleneck Sweater: Clara Sunwoo, gifted by brand, shop here using code GraceG for 10% off | Leather Pants: Clara Sunwoo, gifted by brand, shop here using code GraceG for 10% off | Cream Boots: Portland Leather Goods, $95 ($47.50 per wear) | Maroon Circle Purse: Nordstrom Rack, $50 ($2.08 per wear), last worn here