Just like that, another month has come and gone! I can feel my summer vacation very quickly slipping away, and I’m not happy about it… However, I am looking forward to creating some back-to-school content these next few weeks, so stay tuned every Thursday for a new college-related blog post. Are you starting to get excited for the school year? Or are you still soaking up all-things summer? My favorite part of back-to-school season is always moving in and decorating my new space, but I could do without all the homework and stress. At least I don’t go back to Denver until September, so I still have some time!
- Honestly, not much! I thought I would have more time this month to work on some projects—like redesigning my website—but July proved to be very busy, between work, family in town, volunteering at camp, and now spending time with family in Las Vegas. In reality, I know that I did have the time to work on my blog redesign, I just chose to spend that time in a different way. I have been trying to prioritize family + fun over blog obligations lately, and while I have been less productive than usual, it feels like a good trade-off.
- In other news, I think I am going to have to buy a new phone soon (ugh). I finally made more storage by deleting hidden ‘archived’ photos and clearing my cache, but ever since I got back from camp, my phone won’t hold a charge. A full battery lasts less than 5 hours! That’s pretty useless to me, so now I hardly bring my phone anywhere unless it’s necessary. If anyone has had a similar problem (I have a Google Pixel 2) I’d love to hear any and all suggestions!
Top Blog Posts from July
Favorite Outfits from July
- I liked so many of my outfits from July! Despite the very short length, this striped romper with yellow heels and a big hat is still one of my favorite outfits.
- I also love this casual summer outfit with the olive knit tank and brown panama hat. I struggle with putting together stylish everyday looks during the summer, but this outfit made me feel like a true fashion blogger.
What I Watched + Read
- Season 5 of “Riverdale”—This show is SO. BAD. but my parents and I continue to watch it for some reason unbeknownst to me. I guess we enjoy making fun of it, but it’s definitely not something I would recommend.
- “Clarice”—This TV show is relatively new (remember seeing ads for it during the Super Bowl?), and it’s about the character Clarice from one of my all-time favorite movies, Silence of the Lambs. This show was really intriguing and well-done, the perfect option if you’re looking for a new detective/mystery show.
- Signs—This is an old M. Night. Shyamalan film that I had never seen before. (Speaking of which, I really want to see his new movie, Old!) I enjoyed Signs, and it fostered lots of great discussion between my dad and me about the age-old debate of free will versus predestination.
- A Leg in Oklahoma City—This book was written by a local Boise author and came into my possession through my mom’s book club. While it’s not very well-written (and has several gratuitous sex scenes), I still found this book extremely intriguing. It follows the story of two young lovers and intersects with the history of the Murrah Federal Building bombing in Oklahoma City in 1995. I can see why it was chosen for a book club—there are lots of good discussions to be had around it!
Quote of the Month
- July’s Quote: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” -Anais Nin
- August’s Quote: “Trust the overthinker who tells you they love you. They have, most assuredly, thought of every reason not to.” -LK Pilgrim
[Sighs as I write this.] I made a big deal last month about how I took some time off from goal setting because I was never achieving any of them… Well, I’m embarrassed to say that I have reverted to my old ways. My goals for July were to re-design my website, hit 1,270 followers on Instagram, create a media kit, and host my first giveaway. I thought sharing my goals in a post would hold me more accountable but obviously not! I swear I am usually a motivated individual… I think part of my problem is that I forget about the goals I set—I need to write them down and hang the paper somewhere I will see it every day.
BUT! With that said, I did make some blogging progress in July that’s worth celebrating. I reached out to a brand to discuss a future giveaway (still waiting for a response, but hey, it’s something). I have two collaborations planned and have been communicating with a handful of brands about other collabs. And, July had my second-highest number of visitors ever! So the month wasn’t a total waste, right? No, it wasn’t, but I still really need to get my sh*t together…
What I’m Looking Forward to in August
- I’m really excited to start buying décor for my apartment in the fall. I’ll be using the same decorations in my bedroom as I have the past three years (no sense in changing them now), but because I’m finally living by myself, I now get to decorate the kitchen and living room, too! I’m so excited that I have spent much of the past week making a scale model of my apartment. Obsessive? Just a little.
- I’m also cautiously looking forward to shooting blog pictures with a real camera again. When I first started blogging, my dad took all my pictures on the family’s DSLR. The lighting was always terrible, but I do think the quality was a lot better than the phone photos I take now. Once I get home from Las Vegas, I’m going to solicit my dad’s help again to do photoshoots with the DSLR—I’ve learned a lot more about lighting since 2016, so I’m hopeful we’ll be able to capture some good pics!
This Month in 2018: Blogging Anniversary and a Big Announcement
This is an easy summer outfit I wore out and about the other day. I’ve had this checkered peplum top for years, and it’s still a go-to on hot days! However, I regret not packing beachier/vacation outfits for this LV trip because these palm trees would have made the perfect backdrop. Wouldn’t a flowy white dress and wicker purse look amazing in this golden hour glow?? Next time, I guess.
What are you most proud of accomplishing in the month of July? Let me know in the comments below! And as always, thanks for stopping by.
Black Checkered Top: Charming Charlie, $13, last worn here | Denim Shorts: Target, $18, last worn here | White Sandals: Dolce Vita via DSW, $45, last worn here | Striped Sunglasses: Charming Charlie, $10, last worn here