Happy July! I’m sad to see my first month of summer come to a close so soon, but I am very excited for all that this new month has to offer. Except for, maybe, the sweltering heat. It has been hitting 100 degrees pretty much every day since I’ve been home, so all I can do is sweat, shower, and sweat some more. Don’t you just love that? Regardless, it is finally shorts and tank top weather, and I couldn’t be more excited to have access to my full closet again to create outfits/content these next few months—like today’s casual 4th of July-inspired look.
So What’s New?
- I finished the school year at the beginning of June, spent some time in my apartment in Denver, and then moved back home for the summer last week. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, and the change of scenery and time with family is much-needed after a stressful school year.
- Aside from picking up a lot more hours for my research assistant position, I have spent my time watching a TON of TV shows and movies in the background while working on other projects. Now that I’m home, my family’s routine is usually to eat dinner on our patio and then retire inside for a movie—almost every night. Keep reading to see what I’ve been watching lately!
Top Blog Posts from June
- 25 Outfits I’ll Be Repeating This Summer
- Why I Refuse to Get a TikTok
- Boho Vibes with The Thrifty Six
Favorite Outfits from June
- I loved this casual look with my olive green bodysuit and new denim shorts from Target (which have been on major repeat). My favorite part was the space buns, and y’all seemed to love them too!
- I also adore the fuchsia dress and Kate Spade bag I wore to my friends’ graduations, but I’m still not sure the photos I took do the outfit justice.
What I Watched + Read
- The Help—I’ve been telling myself I wanted to read the book first but finally caved and watched the film instead. Even though Bryce Dallas Howard’s character is a witch, the movie is really good.
- The Danish Girl—Another film I’ve been wanting to watch since it was nominated for several Academy Awards back in 2015. It’s a really tragic story (and based off a real couple), yet kind of hopeful at the same time. Great acting.
- “The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann”—This was a really interesting docuseries, and while I’m not sure who I think did it, it’s one of those stories where everyone involved is suspicious in some way.
- “Bridgerton”—I finally watched this and actually really enjoyed it!
- “Big Mouth: Season 4”—I really liked the first season of this show, and the 4th season was finally worthwhile again (the middle seasons are kinda ‘bleh’). I just love Maury’s character so much.
- “Dynasty”—It took me a while to get into this show, but I ended up enjoying the drama of it. Of course, parts of it make no sense and are so over-the-top, but that’s the fun of it. Plus, I love the fashion!
- Audrey Hepburn’s Neck—I haven’t leisurely read a book in forever but really enjoyed this read. It’s very strange—in a sexual sort of way (as the name suggests)—but it turns out to have a really interesting and unexpected story. Plus, it reveals some fascinating cultural differences between Japan and the United States. It would make a great book club read—lots of discussion to be had.
- Manchester by The Sea—This movie is horrible; do not watch it. Not only is it incredibly sad, but it is sad just for the sake of being sad. I kept waiting for a hopeful life lesson or some sort of plot resolution, but it never came.
- The Lost City of Z—I had never heard of this true story about an explorer in Amazonia in the early 1900s, but it was really interesting!
- Radioactive—This movie details the life of the scientist Madam Curie, and while her biography is interesting, the movie fell short. It had potential to be artsy and creative in unique ways but ultimately failed to deliver, making the film feel choppy and unorganized.
Quote of the Month
- June’s Quote: “Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.” -Camille Pissarro
- July’s Quote: “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” -Anais Nin
After a long list of failures, I stopped setting goals for several months so as to enjoy blogging a little more and feel less stressed about underachieving. However, I think it’s time I get back into it because I have felt rather stagnant these last few months. So, here are a few items I plan to accomplish in the month of July:
- Give my website a facelift. It’s long overdue for a redesign, and I recently noticed that some of the fonts and stylings have become messed up anyway.
- Hit 1,270 followers on Instagram.
- Create a media kit.
- This one is a stretch, but I would love to host my first giveaway this month! We’ll see if I can make it happen (I have a brand in mind to partner with).
What I’m Looking Forward to In July
- I have lots of fun plans for the month of July! First up is celebrating the 4th this weekend—my family is doing brunch with some friends and then heading out to another friend’s bar later in the evening for a firework show. Two events call for two outfits, right? I’m thinking a white dress with blue and red accessories for brunch, and then this cute + casual outfit for the rest of the day. I love the subtle baby blue of this bodysuit paired with the bold red lip. These stars and stripes sunglasses are the absolute perfect accessory!
- Next week, I am spending a night in Walla Walla, Washington, for a mini family reunion with my aunts and grandpa that I haven’t seen in forever. I suggested we go winetasting, so you bet I already have a super cute outfit planned for the occasion.
- I’ll be volunteering as a full-time counselor at my favorite summer camp in the middle of the month. I couldn’t go two years ago (I was hiking the Camino) and last year’s camp was ‘online’… So I am beyond excited to be able to return in-person this summer and spend time with old friends. After a pretty chill summer break last year, I’m looking forward to having a fully booked schedule this season.
What are you most proud of in June? And what are you looking forward to in July? Let me know in the comments below! Also, be sure to share your most recent blog posts in today’s linkup.
As always, thanks for stopping by.
Blue Ribbed Bodysuit: Nordstrom, $50, last worn here | Denim Shorts: Target, $18, last worn here | White Espadrilles: Dolce Vita via DSW, $45, last worn here | Stars and Stripes Sunglasses: Unknown, last worn here