Have you been seeing all those ‘Unpopular Opinion’ question boxes on people’s Instagram Stories lately?? If not, it’s an Instagram trend where people are posting a type-in response box for their followers to share any unpopular opinions that they may have. I always think the opinions are so funny and entertaining to read through! So I figured it might be amusing to do my own version of unpopular fashion opinions here on the blog. Full disclosure, this blog post is entirely lighthearted and for fun; it is not designed to call anyone out about their fashion choices! These are just my opinions, and I invite you to share your own unpopular opinions in the comments (or to try and convince me otherwise!).
But first, let’s talk about today’s outfit. I realize this look seems a little out of place now that’s it May… I took these photos a few weeks ago when it snowed and just haven’t gotten around to sharing them yet! But I wouldn’t put it past Colorado for there to be a mid-May snowstorm—I think one has happened every year since I’ve lived here. It makes it impossible to try to cut down in my wardrobe because I always need by snow boots—it could dump snow at anytime!
Anyway, I really love how this outfit came together. It’s very different than my usual attire and definitely makes me feel like a cool streetstyle kinda person. I was inspired the other day when I saw someone on Pinterest wearing houndstooth trousers in a casual, edgy sort of way, so I figured, “Hey, I can do that too!” I wore my trusty light pink sweater underneath this leather jacket, and I threw on my pink slip-ons to match. These sneakers are super dirty (and impossible to clean) so I really think it’s time to replace them. I finished the look with this cute grey National Geographic X Love Your Melon beanie and my John Lennon-esque trendy sunglasses! You can buy these exact shades here and use my code “gracefulrags” for 30% off your order.
And now, what you all came for, my unpopular fashion opinions:
- I think Gucci anything is ugly and overrated. Especially the $400 Gucci slides??? I could buy any other pair of rubber slide-on shoes at a sports store for $10 and just paint the Gucci logo on myself…
- I love big, chunky statement necklaces and will continue to wear them forever; I don’t care how ‘out of style’ they have become.
- I will never, EVER understand biker shorts. I am shocked the trend has lasted this long. And when people try to ‘dress them up’ by wearing a black pair with a blazer and lacy bralette? Whyyyyyy?
- I prefer to shop in person. I know a lot of people hate shopping in a real store and would much prefer to online shop in PJs from the comfort of their own home, but there are so many reasons that shopping in person is far superior!
- I think fake/acrylic nails are kinda gross… I can get on board with some tasteful short ones, but the inch-long fake nails?? Especially the pointy and coffin-shaped ones? Not my style. They’re very X-Men Wolverine-esque. I’m also just so curious how you can possibly wash your hair when you have an inch-worth of acrylic hanging off the end of your fingers.
- I love turtlenecks. I don’t care if people think they are ‘dumpy’… They are so warm during the winter! And don’t even get me started on mock-neck tops. Mock-necks are super spicy (according to every guy I know) and they are a staple in my closet year-round.
- I don’t understand what the deal is with bucket hats. Why are they so popular? I think they make the wearer look like a kindergartener who went on a fishing trip with their grandpa.
- Y’all already know this if you read this blog post, but I am not a fan of going braless. I know this is sorely disappointing to my #freethenipple generation.
- I hope the sweater vest trend dies very soon. Again, I am shocked that this old man/grandpa look has lasted so long! Do people actually think it’s stylish or is it more ironically trendy?
- I am a believer that Birkenstocks and Uggs are ugg-ly. Thankfully neither shoe is as popular in college as they were in high school. I was reading a thread of unpopular fashion opinions last night on Reddit and one person said something along the lines of, “It’s not that Uggs are necessarily ugly, it’s that any girl who wears them seems incapable of picking up her goddamn feet when she walks,” and I thought that was hysterical.
- Another lasting trend I will never understand: Layering t-shirts underneath spaghetti strap dresses. All I can think of when I see this look is grade school. Remember those days where you wanted to wear your favorite t-shirt but it was too cold outside, so your mom made you layer a long-sleeve white tee underneath? Yah, that’s what this style looks like to me. I actually used to own shirts with that undershirt layer built in… It looked like a long-sleeve t-shirt layered underneath a short-sleeve t-shirt but—surprise! The fun part was that it was really just one top. Yah, you know the type.
- Lastly, white combat boots look like clown shoes and I will never be convinced otherwise. In fact, I think all Doc Marten boots (and Doc Marten knock-offs) look pretty clown-like, but the white ones that seem to be trending right now are particularly so. All I can picture when I see them is Ronald McDonald!
So there you have it. My unpopular fashion opinions. What do you think?? Do you agree with some of them or disagree? Disagree with a fiery passion? I would love to hear your thoughts! Like I said, this post was just for fun, so hopefully it made you laugh (or snort) instead of feel attacked.
And while you’re at it, be sure to join this week’s linkup! I finally caught up last night and checked out everyone’s posts who joined last week. I so appreciate it!
As always, thanks for stopping by the blog today.
Miles of smiles,
Pink Sweater: JCPenney, $18, last worn here | Black Leather Jacket: BB Dakota via local boutique, $25, last worn here | Houndstooth Pants: JCPenney, $19, last worn here | Sneakers: Steve Madden via DSW, $60, last worn here | Grey Beanie: Love Your Melon, gift, buy HERE | Sunglasses: Sungait, gifted by brand, last worn here, buy HERE | Black Elephant Purse: Francesca’s, $20, last worn here