Wow, for once I can say that a month went by really slowly! Not necessarily in a good or bad way, but so much has happened over the past few weeks that it’s hard to believe it was all in April (I mean, I started the month in Las Vegas while still on spring break—that feels like ages ago!). In the month of April, I celebrated Easter with the fam, knocked out both of my Saturday entrepreneurship classes for the quarter, finally hosted the long-anticipated party for my friend’s birthday, and spent a day in Fort Collins. Oh, and I also had my first photoshoot with a real photographer! Today’s photos were taken downtown by Jacque Cochrane as part of a collaboration. Even though my blog is still small, I’m so grateful for the cool people I’ve met and the unique experiences I’ve had through this little space on the web. Now, onto the recap!
- I’m fully vaccinated!!! Well, they say the effectiveness doesn’t kick in until 2-3 weeks after the fact, but I got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday and am so excited. I do not like needles (but who does, really?!) so I was pleasantly surprised that neither shot hurt. And that’s coming from me, a major wuss.
- Excluding this photoshoot with Jacque, I had two collaborations this month—one was a PR box through the Campus Trendsetters program (you can watch the unboxing videos here) and the other was a collab with Sungait Sunglasses (remember my John Lennon-esque shades?). I only just recently started working with brands and receiving product through blogging, and it is always SO exciting! I can’t wait to work with more companies in the future.
- I had a really good month of views on my blog, but I took a lot of time off Instagram (I spent the month doing what I call a “post and run” where I just publish my in-feed post and then immediately close the app). Not surprisingly, I didn’t gain a single follower on Instagram this month! In fact, I lost a few. But it’s nice to know that when I do spend time on the app, it really is paying off with growth, and when I don’t, I know not to expect anything.
Most Popular Posts from April
- Weekly Recap #14, 2021
- A Few Tips to Make Your Wardrobe More Sustainable
- Stepping Back in Time with the Thrifty Six
What I Purchased
- This workout set from Target. I’ve never had very cute workout wear, but I really do think it makes such a difference in your motivation to get active. I’ve been wanting to try a Joy Lab set for awhile now, as I’ve heard great things, and I finally decided to pull the trigger. This set is so stinking cute! I wore it this past weekend for a hike in Colorado Springs and loved it.
- I also bought this striped swimsuit from Target. It’s super cute, and the black stripes even have a slight shimmer to them! I think high-waisted swim bottoms are extremely flattering. I actually had to exchange the top, so I ended up in a medium for both the top and bottoms, and they fit great.
Products I’m Trying
- I was sent this Tangle Teezer detangling hairbrush in that package from Campus Trendsetters and I am obsessed with it. I’ve been needing a new brush, and this one is seriously so gentle on my head. I didn’t think a different kind of brush would make it any easier to detangle my knotted hair but I was wrong. Plus, I love that this brush is completely plastic (instead of having that weird fabric base beneath the bristles) because it makes it so much easier to pick out the loose strands of hair. Would highly recommend this product if you’re in the market for a new brush!
- Popsocket also sent me two of their popsockets with a swappable top. As much as I have been loving having this tool on my phone (it really does make holding your phone so much easier), I do NOT recommend the kind with the interchangeable tops. Mine keeps popping out at random, which has caused me to almost drop my phone several times! I might consider buying a different Popsocket that is not interchangeable so that I don’t have to worry about it coming apart.
- I was also sent two Coke with Coffees to try, which is a new drink that is basically a coffee-flavored Coke. I love Coke and I love the flavor of coffee, so I was really interested to give this a try. At first sip, I did not think it was very good… but I have to admit, the flavor grew on me by the end of the drink. It isn’t something I would go out and buy myself, though. Have you tried this yet?
Favorite Outfits from April
- When I looked back through my posts from this month, I didn’t actually have that many new outfits! So it made it very easy to choose this bold magenta dress from April’s ‘stepping back in time’ Thrifty Six collab. Plus, I love a good vintage moment.
- I also really liked this neutral spring outfit with my trusty black denim jacket and floral jumpsuit. The look felt so effortless and cool.
What I Watched + Listened To
- My boyfriend and I finally finished watching season 4 of “The Crown”! I’m sad it’s over (for now) because I really enjoyed the drama of the monarchy and learning a bit more about British history. I always liked looking up pictures of the real-life events after seeing the reenactments in the show.
- I also finally watched the movie The Pursuit of Happyness. I know it’s super old, but I had never seen it before. It’s very inspiring, although definitely not the feel-good movie of the year!
- Have you heard the song “If This is the Last Time” by LANY? I know it’s not super new or anything, but I LOVE it. It’s such a sweet song, and it makes me tear up a little bit every time I hear it.
- I’ve also been jamming out to James TW, specifically his song “Black and Blue”. He’s got lots of slow and kind of moody music, which is right up my alley.
Quote of the Month
- Last Month’s Quote: “The fool speaks; the wise man listens.” –African proverb.
- May’s Quote: “If the words you spoke appeared on your skin, would you still be beautiful?” –Auliq Ice. Super deep, I know.
What I’m Looking Forward to in May
- Hiking a 14er! I talked about this last month too, but the weather was still too cold and rainy in April to hike a 14,000 ft mountain. I’m certain I’ll be able to cross off this bucket list item in May, though.
- I’m also looking forward to lounging outside in the sun. My apartment has a pool, so once it’s sunny and hot, I think I’m going to bring a book out there and tan a bit (and by tan, I most certainly mean get sunburnt).
- Eating Rocky Mountain Oysters. Okay, I know it’s gross, and I can’t explain it, but trying Rocky Mountain Oysters has been on my bucket list for quite some time. I just love trying bizarre foods! I haven’t been eating out because of the pandemic, but once my vaccine fully kicks in in two weeks, I’m going to find myself a nice restaurant and try this ‘delicacy’ lol.
This Month in 2020: Binge Worthy Fashion: Jane Sloan from “The Bold Type” | Quarantine Hair: Unwashed and Unapologetic | Denim Day 2020: Wear Jeans, Support Survivors
This Month in 2019: 24 Hours in a Day and Only One to Be Upset | The Story of a Rainy Day—Told Through Haikus | Pastels, Petals, and Pattern Mixing
This Month in 2018: 5 Alternatives to Shorts | Mauve | Go Bold or Go Home | Fringe
This Month in 2017: Ways to Make a Girly Dress More Edgy | Pretty in Purple | Navy on Navy
If you’ve been following me since last year, you may recall that May was the month my parents and I decided to do one fun/creative/unusual thing each day during quarantine to keep our spirits up. It’s fun seeing the pictures and “One Year Ago” reminders pop up on my phone! You can check out all 31 of the fun May activities we did here.
What are you looking forward to in May? And what are you most proud of this past month?! Share your accomplishments in the comments below! And as always, thanks so much for stopping by the blog today.
Miles of smiles,
Thank you so much to Jacque Cochrane for taking these photos. To check out her website and more of her work, click HERE!
Beige Sweater: Nordstrom Rack, $18, last worn here | Leather Jacket: BB Dakota via local boutique, $25, last worn here | Cropped Flared Jeans: Express, $40, last worn here | Black Booties: DSW, $45, last worn here
12 comments on “April 2021 Month in Review”
Congrats on your vaccination, and those are some killer photos you have there. Thanks for sharing, and wishing you all the best with this coming May!
Thank you so much! You too!
Rocky Mountain Oysters: yes, I think they have been on your bucket list ot things to try: curious to see what you will think about them. I think I would pass on that one, lol! Love these pictures but I also love the pictures you take yourself: I am always impressed at what you can do with a tripod and remote. I am slowing down this month on the shoppng and will try to focus on rewearing things. I have a lot of things in my closet I haven’t worn this season yet.
Thank you so much Mireille! I really appreciate that. Sometimes I’m proud of the pics I take myself and sometimes I’m so embarrassed by them… Just depends on my mood and confidence that day, I guess! And haha yes, I will be sure to share once I give them a try! I’m looking forward to see what pieces you decide to restyle this month.
So jealous you’re fully vaccinated! They still seem in no rush to actually provide people with vaccines here, it’s really frustrating. They say we might get some for under 50s near the end of this year or in the new year, ugh. At least everything is open and back to normal as we have no cases, but it would just be nice to have the vaccine!
These are great photos too, what a fun collab! 🙂
Hope that your week is going well 🙂
Thank you Mica! And ugh, I’m sorry to hear that… that does sound extremely frustrating. It’s so nice that everything is open there and feeling at least somewhat normal with no cases, though! There are still lots of cases here, but I think they are finally starting to go down with all the vaccinations.
Great recap here! Sounds like April went well for you. Congrates on the vaccination. I’m a bit hesitant about getting it to be honest. Let see how I feel, but I am keeping safe anyways. I’ve been meaning to check out ‘The Crown’, but I always scroll pass it and I don’t even know why. Ha!!
Anywhos….all the best this month, beautiful. 🙂
Thank you so much!! I can understand that; I was really nervous to get the vaccine because I hate shots and was also worried about adverse side effects. I ended up having no side effects at all, though! And yes, there’s so much hype about “The Crown” but I actually did think it was really good. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Collaborations are so much fun! I still get excited when I get emails form brands! Love how these photos turned out!
Thanks Laura!! And yes, they are so special. 🙂
I’m loving your photos here. I haven’t tried a Popsocket yet, but they do seem handy. Good to know I should avoid the swappable ones though. I’m also really curious about that hairbrush now.
I hope you have a great May!
Thank you Lauren! I hope you have a great May, too.