Every time I sit down to write one of these monthly posts, I always want to start it with, “Can you believe the month is already over?!” I guess it never ceases to amaze me how fast time flies. Aside from finishing my finals at the beginning of the month, I’ve done a whole lot of nothin’ in December. I’m sure I’ll regret not accomplishing anything by the time I go back to school (like starting my scrapbook, sewing myself an apron, etc.), but as of right now, I’m really enjoying being a couch potato.
School starts again on January 11, and for once, I’m dreading going back. Not only will my classes be really difficult, but I also have a rare Friday class, ugh. I’ve only had a class on Friday twice before, which means I’ve become very accustomed to three-day weekends! Plus, winter quarter is always the worst regardless of one’s schedule—it’s cold and dark all the time, and walking to class in the snow is dreadful (last year I fell in the ice, with my assignment in hand, and it ripped—I wrote a nice little note for my professor saying, “Sorry, I ate it on the ice and ripped my paper; hopefully you will show mercy and still accept it.” Thankfully, he did).
Favorite Outfits from December
- How fabulous is today’s red sequin moto jacket?! It was a Christmas gift from my mom from White House Black Market (during a huge sale, naturally). The jacket is still steeply discounted for only $50, and you can buy it here or through the widget at the end of this post! My feathery black purse was also a Christmas gift (thrifted for $3), and my boots were a gift as well. I actually picked these boots out myself earlier in the month during DSW’s big boot sale, and I love them in person! I wasn’t sure how the fabric backing would look, but they’re very chic. You can shop these boots here (they’re also linked in the widget with the picture that says “no image”—figures).
- Of course, I can’t forget about the beautiful thrifted holiday outfit I styled in the post Red-y for the Holidays. You just can’t beat a $1 dress!
- And another favorite post from this month was Fall Semester in Review. In fact, those are some of my favorite blog photos of all time. It still tickles me just thinking about them.
Most Popular Posts from December
What I Bought Received
- I didn’t buy anything for myself this month, but I did receive some new items as Christmas gifts! As I already mentioned, this fab sequin jacket, feathery purse, and black boots were all Christmas presents. I really needed new black knee boots because I wore my old pair to death—the sole fell out back in high school and I continued to wear them into college (!).
- My brother gave me a hair crimper and I’m soooooo excited about it! I’ve always loved big hair, and I’m here to bring the 80s style back. I used it for the first time yesterday before taking these photos. It turned out super cute, but the sequins of my jacket kept pulling on my hair and making it less kinky. Note to self—put your hair up when wearing sequins.
What I Watched
I spent most of the month binging “Gilmore Girls” on Netflix, dreaming of a bougie, snobby rich person life on the East coast where I have to attend fancy galas every other week (and of course, wear a dazzling gown). Sigh. Other than that, the only movie I watched was the 80s comedy Uncle Buck, which was surprisingly enjoyable.
Quote of the Month
- Last Month’s Quote: “Today I want you to think about all that you are instead of all that you are not.”
- January’s Quote: “Don’t let ‘perfect’ be the enemy of ‘good’.”
- Last Month’s Goals: Remember when I said I did a whole lot of nothing this month? Yah… that explains why I didn’t focus much on my December goal. It was a simple goal, really: to feel proud of my blog and to focus on all that it IS, rather than all that it is not. But thankfully, the month isn’t over yet, and I want to spend today and the next few days writing down all of the blogging milestones I reached this year and celebrating what I have accomplished. Unfortunately, I am a perfectionist, and that’s something I really need to work on changing in the new year. If you have any tips or good articles for overcoming perfectionism, leave them in the comments below!
- January’s Goals: Reach 1,180 Instagram followers, add new pins to Pinterest every time you publish a blog post, and pitch to your first brand!
This Month in 2016: Polka Dots and Lace | How to Transition Palazzo Pants from Summer to Fall | Vision in Navy
What I’m Looking Forward to in January:
- Safely reuniting with my friends at school.
- Trying new recipes.
- Celebrating two friends’ 21st birthdays!
- (Hopefully) having enough snow to go sledding.
Do you have any fun New Year’s Eve plans? I love this jacket because it’s a functional NYE piece. Lots of bloggers (myself included) share gorgeous sparkly dresses this time of year, but usually they’re sleeveless! And I don’t know about you, but it’s cold where I live in December. So I appreciate a glitzy jacket that I can wear with a few layers and boots to stay warm and fashionable during New Year’s Eve.
Be sure to stay tuned for my annual New Year’s Eve blog post on Thursday, and thank you so much for stopping by today!
Miles of smiles,
Red Sequin Jacket: White House Black Market, gift, buy HERE | Black Mock-Neck Top: JCPenney, $11, last worn here | Skinny Jeans: JCPenney, $25, last worn here | Black Boots: DSW, gift, buy HERE | Black Feather Purse: Thrifted, $3