I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day, whether that be because it exasperates loneliness or it seems “stupid,” but come on guys…I love all holidays. I’ll take any excuse to dress up and go to a party (oh wait, to *pretend* to go to a party because who actually gets invited to all those extravagant events you see on social media?). Dressing up, celebrating, and all things cutesy are just quintessential parts of my personality, so of course I love Valentine’s Day, regardless of relationship status. That’s why I’m sharing 10 ways to celebrate love and all things pink (or in my case, maroon) this V-Day, whether you’re taken or single and ready to mingle.
1. Have a spa day! Okay okay, I know it’s unoriginal. But you can still treat yourself to a fun face mask, a glittery manicure and pedicure, a sugar scrub in the shower, allll the lotion, and a nice tea to keep your insides warm. I always love to take bubble baths, but college bathrooms make that a little difficult…and a lot disgusting. So thank goodness for shower steamers! I only just found out this was even a thing, but shower steamers are little balls of delicious fragrance that you put on the floor under the water and it steams all the good smells into your shower. So in my head, it’s the equivalent of a bath bomb. Perfect for college students! I’m thinking a pink and red themed spa day sounds maw-velous, with all the pretty rose and sweet pea products. If I were super extra I would buy flowers just to lay the petals around…#doitforthegram.
2. If spas are less your thing, have a movie night instead. Go out to see a new premier (order the kids combo—it’s the perfect amount of popcorn that comes with a small drink and fruit snacks for a killer deal) or stay in with your fav rom com and microwave popcorn. Don’t forget to treat yourself to some cutesy chocolates! I always love the Dove hearts—mmmm. This is an inexpensive and fun way to celebrate with either an S.O. (think of the snuggles) or just with girlfriends (snuggles still welcome). Kitschy heart-themed t-shirts recommended.
3. Host a game night and gorge yourself with candy. Invite a hundred of your closest friends for a night of inappropriate humor and bloating—I mean, what else can a girl ask for? I’m talking Cards Against Humanities, the naughty version of the 5 Second Rule game, and plenty of candy. (But not Conversation Hearts because nobody likes how those taste anyway.) In fact, I think you should make each attendee bring a bag of candy to get in through the door. Hopefully someone will buy Fun Dip so your mouth can be dyed blue; it’s not Valentine’s Day without that.
4. Treat yourself and your gal pals to a nice dinner out. Okay, so this celebration is more on the expensive side, but you’re totally worth it. Get dressed up in your favorite pink and red attire, curl your hair, and enjoy Galentine’s with a nice meal! Don’t forget dessert. If you go with just one other friend, make the night more interesting by pretending you’re dating. That always makes a good story (wink wink).
5. Buy yourself a new lingerie set. So by lingerie, I mean the least expensive bra and panty set from a store like H&M (you can make it happen with $20). Because let’s be real, undergarments are too expensive for the amount of fabric you get. BUT you do deserve to feel sexy. So why not get something spicy and just lounge around by yourself? Do a little happy dance in front of the mirror because you’re fabulous? No judgment here.
6. And while you’re at it, write yourself a love note. Just because someone else might not be loving on you on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t be sweet on yourself! Spend a few minutes with your favorite pink, purple, and red gel pens and write a list of all the things you adore about yourself. Have fun with it! I have a strong feeling you’ll be in a better mood after doing this. Roses are red, violets are blue, you’re really fabulous and I’m obsessed with you.
7. Wear a badass outfit. What better way to love yourself than wear a killer outfit that makes you feel hot and confident? I’ll admit, showing my belly-button in this top was way out of my comfort zone and made me feel pretty self-conscious…(and like Britney Spears in the ‘90s—not in a good way). But then my roommate reminded me, I won’t be able to pull off a top like this forever, so I should rock it! Y’all are hot, so do your makeup, doll up your hair, and wear that party top like there’s no tomorrow. You deserve to look and feel amazing.
8. Make V-Day notes for your friends and family. Writing a cute little note for your family and friends, especially when you’re separated across states or are at different colleges, is a sweet way to be thoughtful and spread the love this Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be fancy (especially if you don’t have the materials) but even lined paper cut into a heart shape can be the perfect gesture to make someone’s day.
9. Have a photoshoot with your girlies! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the photo I posted with my friend the other day holding lemons just so she could post the caption, “My main squeeze.” There are so many cute V-Day ideas for photoshoots, and then you can enjoy the memories of your pictures for years to come! This is really the true purpose of a boyfriend—having someone to take your photos. If you don’t have one, just find a male friend or poor unsuspecting bystander to guilt into taking pictures.
10. Celebrate a discounted V-Day on the 15th. This is possibly my favorite idea…go to your local grocery store the day after Valentine’s Day to stock up on discounted candy. (And then repeat any of the above ideas). If I can find flowers for cheap, I think it’d be special to purchase some roses for my dorm room. They’re my favorite! (Basic, I know.)
I have a thing for edgier Valentine’s Day outfits, but if you’re looking for more outfit inspiration, check out my previous posts below!
So what are your thoughts on Valentine’s Day? Do you absolutely love it or do you find it overrated? How do you plan on celebrating? I think I’m going to try and do everything on this list…because why not. Instead of Valentine’s Day, I’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Week over here. Sounds pretty great to me (but probably not so great for my waist line).
Hope y’all are having a great Monday! Sending some love your way today. <3
Miles of smiles,
Maroon Wrap Crop Top: Francesca’s, $25 // Black Pleather Jacket: Blank NYC via Gracie’s Boutique in Denver, $25 // Skinny Jeans: A.N.A. via JCPenney, $25 // Black Stud Block Heels: Sundance Outlet, $75 // Black and White Sunglasses: Charming Charlie, $7 // Brown Belt: Cabi, $75 // Black Fringe Purse: unknown, $50