After a bit of a rough weekend (midterm studying and boy troubles, ugh), the promise of a new week—and a new month!—gets me pretty excited. But nonetheless, it’s still a Monday…and like a lot of people, those Monday blues have been known to hit me pretty hard. That’s why today I’m sharing 8 tips to combat those melancholy moods and get you in the right mindset to have an awesome week!
- Make a nice breakfast or go out to eat. It may sacrifice some quality sleep time, but getting up a little early to treat yourself can totally be worth it. Whether it be making yourself some frozen cinnamon rolls and eggs to eat with your family or finding a nearby early-morning café to hit before school, splurging on the most important meal of the day is a welcome distraction from your boring Monday routine of eating a bowl of cereal, alone at the kitchen table, in the dark (can you tell what my mornings usually look like?).
- Exercise before school. Yes, I know…this one most-likely requires waking up extra early as well. But getting a workout in before even starting your day is the best feeling! Not only will you be awake and energized, but you’ll also feel really good about yourself—physically fit and ready to take on the day.
- Jam out while you’re getting ready. Turn your morning routine into a rock concert by blasting some of your favorite tunes as you brush your teeth. That skincare regimen doesn’t have to be boring if you’re dancing around and singing allll the lyrics to your most-loved songs!
- Get up early to do chores…What?! I know it sounds crazy, but if you wake up just 20 minutes early, you could spend that time cleaning your room or finally sorting through that stack of papers on your desk. While sleeping sounds a lot more appetizing, crossing a thing or two of your to-do list right at the start of your day will boost your feeling of productivity and help you carry that can-do attitude into the rest of your day (and hopefully your week). I love saying to myself, “It’s only 7 in the morning and I’ve already done this, this, and this!”
- Go exploring. I think part of what makes Mondays so lame is that we do the same old mundane routine week after week…While Thursdays and Fridays are usually for going out or trying something new, Mondays are always serious. And a drag. But they don’t have to be! After school, on your lunch break, or whenever else some spare time arises, go exploring. Take a run through a neighborhood you don’t know, try a new smoothie place, experiment with driving a different route home, wander around an alfalfa farm. Whatever it is, find a way to experience a new part of your city to spice things up a bit and turn Mondays into Fun Days (okay yah, that was bad).
- Buy coffee with a friend or bring your favorite drink to school. Make some time either before school or after to meet a friend for coffee at your local coffee shop. I don’t drink coffee, so it’d be a hot chocolate for me, but spending a little time to catch up with a good friend is always enjoyable. It might be the perfect way to find a little relaxation and cheerfulness in your hectic Monday. If you can’t make time for a coffee shop hangout, you can always order your favorite drink to-go to start your week on a sweet and delicious note (just make sure you know your classroom policies about eating and drinking in class!).
- Sleep in. Most of my other ideas require waking up early, butttt…You can always plan to sleep in extra late as well! On Sunday night, make sure to back your bags, cook a breakfast to-go, lay out an outfit, and know exactly how you plan to wear your hair. That way, you can set that alarm for as late as humanly possible and enjoy a few extra minutes of beauty sleep.
- Style a rockin’ outfit. And of course, this list wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t mention wearing a killer outfit! Nothing gets me more excited for a day I might otherwise be dreading than some really pretty clothes. You bet I laid my look out last night…Wearing something you love can drastically boost your mood and confidence, making you feel absolutely fabulous on an otherwise plain Monday! This super cute fall floral dress is from Francesca’s—and it only cost $5 on major sale. I can’t wait to style it again as the temperatures drop with tights and booties.
I hope you enjoyed these fun ideas to transform your Mondays into something exciting! I’d love to know, do you ever do anything special on the first day of the week? Would you try any of these tips, or do you have some of your own?
Have a wonderful Monday—no need to feel blue. 😊
Miles of smiles,
Floral Bell-Sleeve Dress: Francesca’s, $5 // Sparkly Leaf Sandals: Carlos Santana via DSW, $45 // Aviator Sunglasses: Icing, $16 // Belt // Saddle Bag: won in a giveaway, originally from Club Monaco
2 comments on “Hay There, Monday (8 Ways to Beat the Monday Blues)”
Where were the hay pics taken